What will happen if Prop 8 is overturned?

 

consequences-of-gay-marriage1

 

Oh god that’s funny.  Thanks Ang!

Advertisements

9 Responses to What will happen if Prop 8 is overturned?

  1. Antenna Wilde says:

    Damn! I thought it was “all of the above”

  2. Melinda says:

    Brilliant! I should send this to all South Africans who’re still worried about destroying the foundation of society “marriage”… haha.

  3. Darwin says:

    If 8 is overturned it shows we aren’t a nation by the people and for the people anymore. The people spoke on nov. 4th and it seems like it doesn’t matter, this nation is not! ruled by judges, but if this is over turned then we aren’t a democracy any more plain and simple!

  4. Darwin says:

    P.S all of the above are happening already.

  5. achievementgap says:

    Check your history Darwin. The court regularly overturns decisions voted on by a majority of the people. That is the way it was designed to work. It’s part of our system of checks and balances.

    I would presume, as a Christian, you wouldn’t support a separate educational system for little black children? Well Darwin, we don’t have a discriminatory school system thanks to the Supreme Court which, essentially, ignored the voice of the people.

    Also, we are not a democracy. Never have been. We are a representational democracy – meaning there are issues we do not vote on. We have legislative and judicial branches which make decisions; as well as appointed officials. In a democracy, everyone would vote on every issue and the voters would have the final say.

  6. culturepress says:

    @Darwin: A slim majority of the people (52%) do not have a right to oppress the minority–or take away the civil rights of a minority. If it were up to the “majority” (say, 52%), Black-American slaves may never have been freed. If it were up to the majority (say, 52%), we may have resorted to the genocide of Japanese-Americans, as opposed to running the more “costly” Japanese internment camps during WWII.

    Basic human rights and civil rights should NOT be subject to “popular vote.”

    “All democracies are systems in which citizens freely make political decisions by majority rule. But rule by the majority is not necessarily democratic: No one, for example, would call a system fair or just that permitted 51 percent of the population to oppress the remaining 49 percent in the name of the majority… The rights of minorities do not depend upon the goodwill of the majority and cannot be eliminated by majority vote.” – US State Department, in defining “Democracy”

  7. achievementgap says:

    Well said CP!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: